Saturday, February 7, 2015

Entrepreneur Journal week 1: The Start Up of You and BYU-Idaho a Disciple Preparation Center

January 4-10, 2015

This week I learned many things. We studied, “The Startup of You, by Reid Hoffman and Ben Casnocha,
Elder David A. Bednar’s A Disciple Preparation Center and Your Whole Souls as an Offering Unto Him.
We watched many videos including the BYU-Idaho Hinckley Building Dedication. It was great to hear and to feel the spirit bearing testimony of the sacredness and importance of the work and skills taught and gained at BYU-Idaho. I want to focus this entry on Elder Bednar’s devotional addresses.

“A Disciple Preparation Center, Elder David A. Bednar, August 31, 2004, Brigham Young University-Idaho Devotional
BYU-I is similar to all MTC’s they consider themselves a Disciple Training Center.
1. BYU-I is located in a isolated geographic area
2. Students are enrolled for a short period of time
3. The learning and teaching processes at BYU-I are focused and intense
4. There is a distinguishing standard of deportment and dress
5. Is adjacent to a temple
Disciple: is one who follows or attends upon another for the express purpose of learning, they both follow and learn.
Preparation: implies the process of making or getting ready; the previous putting or setting in order for any action or purpose.
Center: a point from which things and influences originate or emanate.
Disciple Preparation Center: A place in which followers of the master learn and are set in order and are made ready- and from which their influence flows into the world.
Added spiritual strength for BYU-I 1. BYU-I is a temple of learning, 2. Located next to a holy temple, even a House of the Lord 3.BYU-I is surrounded by strong stakes of Zion.
Only other places Lord has prepared like this: Provo, Utah; Laie, Hawaii; Salt Lake City, Utah; and Rexburg, Idaho.
DPC Lessons
A disciples Faith is focused upon the Son of God
A disciple recognizes that faith in the Savior is a spiritual gift and appropriately seeks for that gift in his/her life.
A disciple’s faith in the Savior and spiritual preparation dispel fear
Your whole souls as an offering unto Him, Elder David A. Bednar, January 5, 1999 Ricks College Devotional.
Faithful and competent
Spiritual development and progress=Faithfulness
Academic discipline and competence= Diligence
Diligence and Competence is conscientiously and consistently and constantly learning how to learn. Preparing your mind for the important and weighty responsibilities that which will shortly come to you and for which you must be ready.
Ricks College Mission Statement
Build testimonies of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ and encourage living its principles
Provide a quality education for students of diverse interests and abilities
Prepare students for further education and employment, and for their roles as citizens and parents.
Maintain a wholesome academic, cultural, social and spiritual environment

Doctrine and Covenants 4:2 “Therefore, O ye that embark in the service of God, see that ye serve him with all your heart, might, mind and strength, that ye may stand blameless before God at the last day.
MIGHTY HEART and a STRONG MIND
A mighty heart is required for serving God. Equates to faithfulness and spiritual strength
A Strong Mind is also required for serving God. Equates to competence achieved through intellectual diligence and discipline.
Responsibility to yourself-means of personal preparation for challenges and responsibilities that lie ahead. Your family-as an expression of your appreciation for and gratitude to them. To the Savior and His Church- because of the covenants you already have made or will yet make-particularly sacrifice and consecration
Sacrifice-to offer or surrender something valuable or precious-pertains only to mortality. Requires us to willingly offer anything and everything that we possess for the sake of the Gospel of the Savior—including our character and reputation; our honor and applause; our good name among men; our houses; our lands; and even our families; all things, including our very lives if need be.
It is motivated by faith and hope and produces increased commitment and a desire to obey.
Only their best was good enough for the Lord- ONLY OUR BEST IS GOOD ENOUGH FOR THE LORD.
Consecration-develop and dedicate to a sacred purpose- we consecrate our time, talents, strength, property, and money to the upbuilding of the kingdom of God on this earth and the establishment of Zion. We promise to develop and devote our best selves. We will not only die for the gospel, but we will develop ourselves and live for the Gospel.
Motivated by charity and produces and increased desire to serve.
Sacrifice is preparation for Consecration”

Some ways that I applied these teachings in my life was I realized I needed to not take as many courses this semester so that I could address and administer to my husband and children’s specific needs. I would not be giving my best to anything if I neglected this sacred responsibility of being a wife and mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment