Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Mastery: The Keys To Success and Long-Term Fulfillment By George Leonard



Mastery: The Keys To Success and Long-Term Fulfillment
By George Leonard

The Author teaches us about mastery using metaphors and similes and the martial art Aikido.  He considers it a journey and not an end destination.  According to the author, there are four differing paths people take to master something.   1. The Dabbler- someone who loves to begin he peaks and as he begins any descent he decides to start something else and the process beings again.  2. The Obsessive- someone who want to be the best as quickly as possible and at all costs to avoid the plateau. They begin fine peak and then their path looks like a rocky mountain range as they do everything to stay on top or at the climax. 3. The Hacker- Someone who stays on the path of mastery for a while, but is okay with mediocrity and not having to do the work that mastery would entail.  On their journey they begin, they peak they hit a plateau they hit another peak, plateau again and then kind of just flat-line after a while.  4. The Path of Mastery- a lifelong series of plateaus and peaks that slowly rise over one’s lifetime.  The plateaus hold as much or more value than the peaks. 
The Author teaches five keys to mastery: Instruction-choose your instructors wisely., Practice is a verb, but when used as a noun you are on the master’s path because it becomes something you “have or are.”, Surrender- give in to sacrifices and indignities that come along with mastery., Intentionality-vision, attitude, mental game or will power., and the Edge- a willingness to push beyond safe or physical limits “to test the edges of the envelope, walk the fine line between endless goal less practice and goals.” says Leonard.
            Leonard then teaches about change and people’s desire and efforts to have things remain the same even when they do not realize it.  He calls this “Homeostasis.” Following this we are taught ways to get energy required for mastery and common reasons why people don’t stay on the master’s path.  
My favorite part of the entire book was when he was teaching about ways to get energy.  It was number five-Set your priorities.  Basically, you are going to have to make a decision and go.  He teaches that as we make decisions, we eliminate the other choices with their possibilities.  Some get upset or become immobile due to the thought of the loss of so many choices and they choose nothing.  He teaches: “Indecision leads to in-action, which leads to low energy, depression, despair.”     
“Ultimately, liberation comes through the acceptance of limits.  You can’t do everything, but you can do one thing, and then another, and another.  In terms of energy, it’s better to make a wrong choice than none at all.”   I really identify with this principle of “You can’t do everything, but you can do one thing, and then another and another.”  I recognize the truth of it because of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.  I have seen this pattern in the scriptures, in the lives of so many around me and in my own life as well.  I feel it is part of a solution to a problem we are having in our relief society.  Our sisters feel so much overwhelm by what they need to do that they do nothing.  They fail to begin and that is where they begin to fail.  The solution is action.  Leonard suggests we write down a list of all the things we desire to do the next day or two, then to prioritize those items, putting them in order of importance by grouping them using the alphabet A, B, and C.  Then do everything in group A.  Your most important tasks will be complete.  I can see where as I apply this to my life and business, I will become a more efficient person.  I will gain energy with each decision and action I take.  One foot in-front of the other, “line upon line and precept upon precept.”   If this is applied to all business planning and actions, I would be energized and motivated day after day.  I can see a sense of accomplishment that would come from this consistency.  I can also see there would be time/self management benefits involving more time and energy to serve and love.        

No comments:

Post a Comment